About Me

My photo
I'm just a girl with a blog... I laugh uncontrollably...so much so I wake up from funny dreams laughing...my friends love that I can make them laugh, and always ask me what I'm on...my answer is milk of course :) I miss my friends like crazy! I was born and raised in Canada, T.O. to be exact :D currently living in Greece, still trying to get settled...uuummmm I can't start my day without blasting some tunes first, music puts a groove in my step and it's just how I like to start my day...I love drawing,reading, hair, makeup, and clothing...all the girly things in life...and my dream is to travel the world...i hope it comes true ~xoxo Stephi~

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Veroia/Veria

In Veroia today you can see The Altar of the Apostle Paul, a modern monument the Vereans erected to remind them of Paul's visit to their city nearly 2,000 years ago.
Magnificent craftsmenship! Large slabs of marble frame the hand tiled images...small tiles, less than an inch squared, that were put together to create the murals, and the text.
Off to the side there is a little garden with benches, a fountain that's always running cool spring water, and pomegranate trees to provide some shade from the sun.
xoxoChiika
Bible Background
***it-1 p. 291 Beroea ***

A populous city of the province of Macedonia visited by the apostle Paul during his second missionary journey. (Ac 17:10-14) Modernly called Veroia, it was located in a fertile area at the base of Mount Bermios about 65 km (40 mi) WSW of Thessalonica. It thus lay some 40 km (25 mi) inland from the Aegean Sea.
It was probably about 50 C.E. when Paul and Silas arrived at Beroea after a nighttime departure from Thessalonica made necessary by mob violence. Beroea had a Jewish community and a synagogue in which the two missionaries preached. The readiness of the Beroeans to give ear to their message, and their diligence in examining the Scriptures in search of confirmation of the things learned, earned them the commendation found at Acts 17:11. A number of converts resulted from among these “noble-minded” persons, both Jews and Greeks. Paul’s work was cut short, however, by the arrival of fanatical Jews from Thessalonica bent on causing further mob activity. He sailed for Athens, leaving Silas and Timothy behind to care for the new group of believers in Beroea.—Ac 17:12-15.
Paul doubtless passed through or near Beroea on his third missionary journey, which brought him again into Macedonia. Among his companions at that time was Sopater, a Christian from Beroea.—Ac 20:1-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and comment... i read every single one :)
xoxo Stephi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...